On Wednesday 07 April 2010 13:52:22 Jan Just Keijser wrote:
> > We've contacted Microsoft tech support about this issue. If anything
> > like a
> > fix comes out of that I'll post an update here. If not we'll have to
> > consider
> > a workaround of some kind, but let's wait with that discussion until
> > we're
> > sure it's not fixable the right way.
>
> isn't
>   ipconfig /flushdns

No, that doesn't do it.

> or
>   net stop dnscache
>   net start dnscache

That works as well as `ipconfig /renew`. Even `ipconfig /registerdns` helps
because it does an implicit /renew.

> enough? This might be related to
>  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311218

Sadly it's not. Seems to have effect on MS RAS protocols only. PPTP and L2TP
get their DNS settings via PPP IPCP, so it's kind of clear that this fix does
not apply to the ones from openvpn via DHCP.

> I've recommended to people on the -users list to use an 'up' script with
>   net stop dnscache
>   net start dnscache
> this has worked in 99% of the cases.

True, but it's not the solution I'm looking for, but a rather high level
workaround.

Heiko
--
Heiko Hund | Software Engineer | Phone +49-721-25516-237 | Fax -200
Astaro AG | An der RaumFabrik 33a | 76227 Karlsruhe | Germany

Executive Board: Markus Hennig, Jan Hichert, Günter Junk, Dr. Frank Nellissen
Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Stanley J. Krasnow
Headquarter Location: Karlsruhe
Commercial Register: Mannheim HRB 108997