Hi Henno,

Henno Täht wrote:
Hi

2010/6/22 Jan Just Keijser <janj...@nikhef.nl <mailto:janj...@nikhef.nl>>

    Henno Täht wrote:

        The only thing I can think of is that Windows XP explicitly
        forbids access to port 445 as a countersecurity measure unless
        it's coming from an "official" network card.

That crossed my mind also.

    It seems like OpenVPN is working as it should, it's just that
    Windows XP (and Vista/7?) does not regard the tap-win32 adapter as
    an official network card and hence does not allow access.

I think it has something to do with the way OpenVPN configures the TAP adapter while first connecting after boot. Because when I uncheck and recheck OpenVPN adapter's "File and Printer Sharing service", port 445 starts operating normally also on this adapter. But unfortunately that fortune only lasts until next computer restart.

    Your best bet is to continue using netbios-over-tcpip for the time
    being (I always disable port 445 anyways) until a Windows kernel
    guru can tell us just what the heck is happening here (where would
    this be logged? my XP firewall is turned off

I cannot do that because my W2003 servers stubbornly refuse to use netbios-over-tcpip. I have triple checked that Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP is checked and even restarted the servers but they still only try to connect to port 445. :(
I think I got it:

- change the media status on the tap-win32 adapter from 'Application Controller' to 'Always Connected'
- add the lines
   dhcp-pre-release
   dhcp-renew
   dhcp-release
 to the openvpn client config file.
- Restart windows, connect to the VPN and try the share.

This worked for my WinXP SP3 installation.

The downside is that the system takes a bit longer to come up, as windows tries to get a DHCP lease for the tap-win32 adapter and finally assigns a 169.254 address. If this works for you as well then maybe the tap-win32 developers can dive deeper into this and find out why windows treats the 'always connected' adapter differently from an 'application controlled' adapter .

And now that I think of it: this *might* also affect the windows 2003/2008 server problem that some people have reported here...

HTH,

JJK