(Adding the Fedora OpenVPN package maintainer, Steven Pritchard, on Cc.)

On 01/07/10 16:59, Till Maas wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 12:00:49PM +0300, Samuli Seppänen wrote:
>
>> - write packaging instructions to our Trac wiki
>> (https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/wiki)
>> - convert the instructions into BuildBot code (BuildSteps)
>>
>> After this is done, we can provide the latest version of OpenVPN for
>> various platforms with minimal manual effort. This helps developers as
>> well as users: having the development code in wider circulation helps
>> spot problems faster resulting in faster release cycle.
>
> I am a Fedora package maintainer, but not one of OpenVPN. I CC'ed them
> in case they did not notice this.
>
> The Fedora package scripts are currently available here:
> http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpms/openvpn/devel/
>
> In the not so far future this URL will not be valid, because Fedora
> switches to git.
>
> Packages for Fedora are usually build within a chroot using a helper
> tool called mock[0] and I do not know how well it works on other
> distributions except Fedora or RHEL/CentOS. There are also scripts
> developed to easily build new rpms from SCM and afaik currently only git
> is supported (I do not know what OpenVPN currently uses, but I suspect
> it's SVN):

The openvpn-testing repository is git based, but the coming beta2.2 will
be primarily SVN where the -testing repository will mirror the SVN
branch.  All community patches will go in to the SVN tree via the git tree.

> https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-packager/ticket/8
>
> Adding support for SVN or other SCMs should not be that hard. I will try
> to write something up how to put all this together to easily build new
> OpenVPN Packages for Fedora using a SCM checkout.

As the building in this context is mostly oriented around the -testing
tree, I think you don't need to think too much about SVN support now.
The git support should be sufficient.

We're looking for a way how to provide openvpn-testing packages for a
vast majority of distributions and OSes, to check that it compiles well
and to provide binaries for those wanting to be experimental.

But, I do see one big advantage of building packages via Koji (Fedora's
building system which uses mock), if possible.  That will put these
packages into a yum repository almost instantly, which can be useful to
make the packages more easily available.

Steven: I'd like to hear your thoughts on this as well!

kind regards,

David Sommerseth