Hi David and Alon,
> My suggestion is that we first move those parts related to the Windows
> TAP driver, Windows installer and easy-rsa into separate git trees.
> Next, the Windows building scripts needs to be split up, so that there's
> a separate building process for Windows TAP driver and the OpenVPN
> binary.  As those processes *are* different, it should actually simplify
> the building process in the long run.  Then we need to come up with a
> better Windows installer process, which f.ex. can require a pre-compiled
> TAP and OpenVPN binary.
Makes perfect sense to me. There's little advantage in keeping these in
the same tree, and we've definitely seen the disadvantages.
> The time frame I imagine for this is when OpenVPN 2.2 is released.
> That's a reasonable time to think this through and we need to do some
> other improvements to the git tree when we release OpenVPN 2.2.  As a
> side-note, I hope we will be able to get 2.2 released within this year.
Do you consider the build system / git tree organization a new feature?
Or could the first non-beta/rc 2.2 release use the separated build systems?
> Alon, when it comes to your patch, I've looked at it, and it looks sane
> to me.  But as I'm neither a Windows developer nor an autotools expert,
> I'll wait for an ACK from someone who can understand it better.  But
> I'll try to remember to bring it up on Thursday's developments meeting,
> unless someone ACKs it earlier.
I added Alon's patch and this build system modularization to next
meeting's topic list:

<https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/wiki/Topics-2010-09-23>

James probably has some insights about the issues with our current build
system. I'm also sure he can ACK Alon's patch if nobody else does it first.

--
Samuli Seppänen
Community Manager

irc freenode net: mattock