On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 02:22:00PM +0200, Jan Just Keijser wrote:
> ah right, now I see... hmmm 'Host: ...' headers should not be required
> by a web server and with apache's Virtual Hosts you can override this using

I would have to disagree with whether Host: headers should be required,
given that the HTTP/1.1 specification explicitly says [RFC2616]:

"All Internet-based HTTP/1.1 servers MUST respond with a 400 (Bad
Request) status code to any HTTP/1.1 request message which lacks a Host
header field."

The client also "MUST" send a Host: header in every request, it is not
an optional field.  Changing only the version number on the CONNECT line
OpenVPN sends does not make it a real HTTP/1.1 request.

(From what I can tell, and based on a very quick test, the string
"_default_" in an Apache <VirtualHost> config also only matches unlisted
IP addresses, and does not change how it processes HTTP requests that
claim to be version 1.1 but aren't.)

--
Heikki Kallasjoki
heikki.kallasj...@iki.fi