Hello Alon,

> This is *THE* missing functionality in Windows environment.
> It seems that nobody interested in developing proper UI using
> management interface for Windows.
> Same goes to proper smartcard support.

I found that openvpn management interface works as I'd like it.

Add the following lines to client.ovpn
--------------------------------
management localhost 1000
management-query-passwords
auth-retry interact
management-hold
--------------------------------
and start the service.

Use putty to connect to localhost port 1000, format RAW

|>INFO:OpenVPN Management Interface Version 1 -- type 'help' for more info
|>HOLD:Waiting for hold release
|hold release
|SUCCESS: hold release succeeded
|>PASSWORD:Need 'Auth' username/password
|username Auth here_comes_my_username
|SUCCESS: 'Auth' username entered, but not yet verified
|password Auth here_comes_my_mypassword
|SUCCESS: 'Auth' password entered, but not yet verified

et voila openvpn connects.

I'd like to cry, how long did this works?

I found this in changelog:
2004.11.28 -- Version 2.0-beta18

* Added management interface.  See new --management-*
  options or the full management interface documentation
  in management/management-notes.txt in the tarball.

greetings
Carsten