Yo,

Gert Doering wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, Jul 08, 2015 at 06:26:33PM +0200, Jan Just Keijser wrote:
AFAICT windows does support that option (that's what I was referring to with options 121 or 249) . OTOH, I am *not* sure if it allows you to set a 0.0.0.0/1 route using that option, but I guess there's only one way to find out.
FWIW: I've patched openvpn to set routes using DHCP on Windows and yes, it works: I can add any route to the system routing tables, including 0.0.0.0/1 and 128.0.0.1/1 ; this could be used as an alternative to requiring elevated privileges.

Unless you can also set the host route for the VPN gateway (point to a gateway on a *different* interface), this is not really helping... just adding 2x /1 will just cause recursion as packets to the VPN server will be happily routed into the tap interface again.

as usual, Gert is right :(
I've added an explicit /32 route to the OpenVPN server via DHCP , which Windows picks up, including the right LAN GW address *BUT* it associates it with the VPN interface, not the regular LAN interface. Thus you end up with a "bite your own tail" route and the VPN collapses.

So I guess the only thing this DHCP-trick is useful for is if you're not redirecting all traffic - in that case you can run openvpn in non-privileged mode and set a bunch of routes to go over the VPN, just not the default route.

@Selva: my current patch contains hardcoded addresses and is just a proof-of-concept. I cannot share the executable with you.

JJK