Hi,

On 15/12/15 08:53, Gert Doering wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 01:12:49AM +0100, David Sommerseth wrote:
Just tried to build openvpn on one of my laptops (Scientific Linux 7.1,
openssl-1.0.1e-42.el7).  And it explodes when reaching the
SSL_CTX_get0_certificate(), it seems that support arrived in OpenSSL 1.0.2?
Could that be right?  Haven't had brainpower yet to dig deeper.
Yeah, we noticed.  Sorry for that.  Never seen so much red on the buildbot
list before... :-)

Committed and pushed the "not before 1.0.2" workaround.

hmmmm I think this feature is actually worth adding to systems based on OpenSSL 1.0.1 as well (think RHEL 7 etc). The problem is, the current fix is very 1.0.2 specific and there seems to be no easy work-around. Another approach is to check the certificate expiry time when the cert is loaded, but - as Steffan pointed out - this would mean that multiple places need a function call to check this:
- when loading an x509 file
- when loading a pkcs12 file
- when loading an inline blob
- when loading something from pkcs11
- when loading something via cryptostore
- when loading something using the management interface

the problem lies in the 'reachability' of the actual X509 certificate structure in OpenSSL - the SSL_CTX context contains the X509 cert, but you cannot get at it until 1.0.2 - at connection time the SSL struct also contains it, but this is too late in the process.

I'm inclined to alter the patch to check it at all items listed above - what do you guys think? Having to wait for openssl 1.0.2 (which even my fedora 22 box does not yet have) seems a bit like "so close, yet so far ..."

JJK