On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 10:41 PM, Jan Just Keijser <janj...@nikhef.nl> wrote:
> On 15/12/15 08:53, Gert Doering wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 01:12:49AM +0100, David Sommerseth wrote:
>>> Just tried to build openvpn on one of my laptops (Scientific Linux 7.1,
>>> openssl-1.0.1e-42.el7).  And it explodes when reaching the
>>> SSL_CTX_get0_certificate(), it seems that support arrived in OpenSSL 1.0.2?
>>> Could that be right?  Haven't had brainpower yet to dig deeper.
>> Yeah, we noticed.  Sorry for that.  Never seen so much red on the buildbot
>> list before... :-)
>>
>> Committed and pushed the "not before 1.0.2" workaround.
>>

> hmmmm I think this feature is actually worth adding to systems based on
> OpenSSL 1.0.1 as well (think RHEL 7 etc). The problem is, the current
> fix is very 1.0.2 specific and there seems to be no easy work-around.
> Another approach is to check the certificate expiry time when the cert
> is loaded, but - as Steffan pointed out - this would mean that multiple
> places need a function call to check this:
> - when loading an x509 file
> - when loading a pkcs12 file
> - when loading an inline blob
> - when loading something from pkcs11
> - when loading something via cryptostore
> - when loading something using the management interface
>
> the problem lies in the 'reachability' of the actual X509 certificate
> structure in OpenSSL
> - the SSL_CTX context contains the X509 cert, but you cannot get at it
> until 1.0.2
> - at connection time the SSL struct also contains it, but this is too
> late in the process.
>
> I'm inclined to alter the patch to check it at all items listed above -
> what do you guys think?
> Having to wait for openssl 1.0.2 (which even my fedora 22 box does not
> yet have) seems a bit like "so close, yet so far ..."

Just use mbedtls ;-)

OpenSSL 1.0.2 has been released almost a year ago, so upcoming distro
releases will probably contain 1.0.2+ (e.g. Ubuntu 15.10 already has
it, 16.04 LTS will have it too).  Should not take too long, right?

As you've probably noticed in the other thread, I don't particularly
like the idea of adding that extra code.  But I won't actively oppose
such a patch either.

-Steffan