Hi,

While preparing OpenVPN 2.4-alpha1 release the discussion about
user-specific OpenVPN configuration files came up again. To give some
background, OpenVPN-GUI can now delegate privileged operations (e.g.
route adding) to the OpenVPN Interactive Service. This means that normal
users are now able to launch OpenVPN connections without having admin
privileges. On top of that, users can now store OpenVPN configuration
files in their home directory, under %USERPROFILE%\OpenVPN\config[*].
The rationale for this directory choice was discussed here:

<https://github.com/OpenVPN/openvpn-gui/pull/18#issuecomment-190138431>

Three directory alternatives have been proposed:

%USERPROFILE%\OpenVPN\config (current approach)
%APPDATA%\OpenVPN\config
%USERPROFILE%\.openvpn\config

People seem to agree that %APPDATA%\OpenVPN\config would be the most
"proper" place for the configuration files. The fear was that people
don't know about it, and will not thus find it. Of course the location
would be documented, but people probably would not read the
documentation and would get confused.

There also seems to be agreement that using %USERPROFILE%\OpenVPN\config
(=current approach) is rather invasive. However, it has the benefit that
users might actually find it without reading the documentation.

*NIX guys would love %USERPROFILE%\.openvpn\config, and it kind of makes
sense for a cross-platform app, but Windows guys would probably be at loss.

So what should be do with this? Any directory we choose we have to live
with for a long time - replacing it with something else would break
setups for lots of users.

I'd like to finish the OpenVPN-2.4_alpha1 release tomorrow, so I hope we
can go through the bikeshedding today :).

Best regards,

--
Samuli Seppänen
Community Manager

irc freenode net: mattock

[*] With the caveat that they need to be either in the built-in
administrator group, or in "OpenVPN administrators" group, to actually
use OpenVPN configurations stored in their home directory.