Il 19/10/2016 18:17, Steffan Karger ha scritto:
> On 19 October 2016 at 17:14, Samuli Seppänen <sam...@openvpn.net> wrote:
>> SviMik had a very good point against using %APPDATA%: it is a hidden
>> folder. At least on Windows 7 it seems to be hidden at the filesystem
>> level, because no tools seem to see it. However, doing a
>>
>>    cd $HOME\Appdata
>>
>> in Powershell will work, so the directory _is_ there even though it is
>> invisble.
>>
>> I don't think we should put the configuration files into folder people
>> will not find without extra tinkering.
>
> Maybe add an 'open config folder' button/link to openvpn-gui?
>
> -Steffan

Sounds reasonable.

The "%USERPROFILE%\Appdata" folder seems to be for "files generated by
applications" as SviMik said:

<https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc962614.aspx>
<https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc749104%28v=ws.10%29.aspx>

Those links refer to Windows XP's equivalent for $HOME\Appdata, but the
purpose of the directory has not changed afaik.

Things are complicated a bit more by the fact that the %APPDATA%
environment variable points to %USERPROFILE%\Appdata\Roaming, not
%USERPROFILE%\Appdata as one might think.

In the first link above, MS says this:

"CSIDL_PROFILE: The user's profile folder. A typical path is
C:\Documents and Settings\username. Applications should not create files
or folders at this level; they should put their data under the locations
referred to by CSIDL_APPDATA or CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA."

I think the idea Microsoft thought that users should not (have to) touch
the Appdata folder, and thus decided to hide it.

I vote for using a directory that is visible by default, at least until
the GUI can reliably import any config thrown at it.

--
Samuli Seppänen
Community Manager

irc freenode net: mattock