On 02/12/16 13:55, debbie10t wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 02/12/16 10:32, boxar...@yandex.ru wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I would like to know if it's possible to enable fips  enabled encryption on
>> my vpn server?
>> Here is a link to fips user guide
>> https://www.openssl.org/docs/fips/UserGuide-2.0.pdf .
>> It looks like I'd have to change source code and compile it myself to make
>> it FIPS compliant.
>> Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.
>>

> Without very much effort it is possible to build openvpn with openssl
> FIPS support on CentOS7:
>
> OpenVPN 2.4_beta2 [git:master/1c587a1112220618+]
> x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [LZ4] [EPOLL]
> [MH/PKTINFO] [AEAD] built on Dec  1 2016
> library versions: OpenSSL 1.0.1e-fips 11 Feb 2013, LZO 2.06
>
> OpenSSL 1.0.1e-fips appears to be the default openssl developer library
> in CentOS7.
>
> I do not know enough about FIPS certification to advise if *only* this
> change is sufficient to cover you for real world certification.

This is partially right.  But the system is at this point not in FIPS
mode, so the hardening FIPS provides is still not active.  You need to
reboot the system into FIPS mode, which then disables several algorithms
in OpenSSL which OpenVPN depends on - which makes OpenVPN fail.

For more info:
<https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Security_Guide/chap-Federal_Standards_and_Regulations.html#sect-Federal_Information_Processing_Standard>

--
kind regards,