I think in order to activate FIPS mode in openvpn we need not only to build it
against fips capable openssl, but also  call FIPS_mode_set() function inside
openvpn code. I'm guessing fips mode activation in the kernel in case of RHEL
means that all services and applications in the system would operate in fips
mode (although I'm not absolutely sure). But what about other distributions
like ubuntu? I don't see the way to activate fips mode system wide. I'm saying
all this because it seems to me that we need to call fips mode set function
inside openvpn code.  The user
guide(https://www.openssl.org/docs/fips/UserGuide-2.0.pdf) says this:
"Somewhere very early in the execution of the application FIPS mode must be
enabled. This should be done by invocation of the FIPS_mode_set() function
call"  (see section 5 if interested). So I don't think simply building openvpn
with fips capable openssl would be enough to say openvpn is functioning in fips
mode as we need to enable fips mode inside the code. David, I understand that
calling fips mode function would break openvpn because it depends on some
algorithms not fips approved. When could be expected to see a patch that would
allow to enable fips mode in openvpn without breaking it?