Hi David,

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 11:06 PM, David Sommerseth <
open...@sf.lists.topphemmelig.net> wrote:

​<snip>​

> But for reasons unknown to me, those tarballs got re-created somewhere
> later in the release chain.  The contents of all tarballs are
> essentially the same, but due to the "nice" artefact that the tar format
> is non-deterministic on the output, even though the input is the same,
> that begins to prepare the stage for this chaos.  Especially when what
> is being uploaded is partly from the initial run and then some files
> from a different run
> ​.

​It might be possible to pay with several tar options, including:

--sort=name : sort added files by name, and not by the order specified by
the OS
--mtime=DATE-OR-FILE : set mtime of added file to a known value (either the
mtime of a file or an arbitrary date/time string).  ​

​These two options should help​

​Both options are being used by the LEDE project​ which claim support of
reproducible builds for a limited list of targets (tar is used when
building packages [1]).

​[1]
https://git.lede-project.org/?p=source.git;a=blob;f=scripts/ipkg-build#l142​

> --