On 07/09/17 15:07, Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Sep 07, 2017 at 03:02:20PM +0200, David Sommerseth wrote:
>>> Which is not what I hoped for... "turn it off and leave it so" is non
>>> helpful (it might be a transient error preventing the startup).
>>
>> I'm confused.  What is it you want?
>>
>> * try restarting in an endless loop?
>> * try restarting X times and then stop trying?
>
> "exponential decay"
>
> Restart a few times quickly, and then slow down, like "re-try after 1s, 3s,
> 5s, 10s, 15s, 30s, 60s, ... and then stick to every-5-minutes" or so
> (like OpenVPN's own connection re-try logic :-) ).

Yes, that is a nice idea.  But to my knowledge, that is not something
systemd supports today.  So we can't have that easily.  We could look
into a ExcePreStart=, which tracks how long time it has gone since the
last restart and adds the "exponential decay" sleep.  But that means
more code to maintain.

> That way you get quick restart if a temporary failure happens, and avoid
> filling logs with useless crap if the error persists - like "bind to an
> IP address that is not present in the system, because the ppp0 interface
> where it would show up is down", or something like this.
>
> But if that cannot be done, that's how it is - and in that case, "stop
> trying" is not what I want.
Which means the current patch is what is possible to achieve today.  :)

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth
OpenVPN Technologies, Inc