Hi,

On Thu, Sep 07, 2017 at 10:02:08PM +0100, fragmentux wrote:
> all your comment are totally valid from a sys-admin point of view but
> from an openvpn POV, the only responsibility is to provide a secure VPN.

Uh, no.  Part of our responsibility is also to provide a reasonably good
experience to sysadmins installing and running openvpn - and if we can
provide a systemd unit file that does "the right thing" for "most of the
time", users will be happier.

(I do not always agree with David on what the best approach to "good
experience" is, so you'll see discussions - but we *do* agree on the
general principle "it should work and not annoy users or sysadmins")

Another example: why do we bother to have warnings about option combinations
that will not work right in our code, instead of "just exit(1) with no
further explanation"?  Because "secure VPN" alone isn't good enought, it
needs to be reasonably robust against misuse, and *tell* users what is
wrong so they can fix their errors.

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        g...@net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de