On 22/01/18 16:27, Selva Nair wrote:
> - Present patch: connection process appears stuck (but UI is still
> responsive) and logs show the daemon is waiting for signature
>
> - This proposal: connection fails with: "External EC cert/key not
> supported in this config. Try using --management-external-key 2"
> User edits the config option and the connection process appears stuck .....
>
> I suppose the latter is a bit better.

Well, it should probably be tweaked slightly better.  First of all, if run via
a GUI front-end, it's the GUI which should set this argument.  We could
consider to add a "fail-safe" on this option, so once set - it can't be
changed again.  The more advanced rabbit whole fix would be that the command
line provided --management-external-key option overrides whatever is in the
configuration file; doing this will require more work though.

This will make the VPN connection will still fail, but it won't be stuck any
more.  The user may complain "but I did add that option!?" which then is a
better starting point for support cases ... "Yes, it is most likely ignored as
your user interface is not capable of this feature".

Another alternative is to extend an already longer error log entry, by
mentioning "also ensure that your management interface front-end supports
version 2."

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth