Il 09/02/2018 07:41, Илья Шипицин ha scritto:

> <mailto:selva.n...@gmail.com>>:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 3:15 AM, Samuli Seppänen <sam...@openvpn.net
>     <mailto:sam...@openvpn.net>> wrote:
>     > Il 07/02/2018 21:58, David Sommerseth ha scritto:
>     >> On 07/02/18 20:32, Илья Шипицин wrote:
>     >>> After auth-token were introduced, when user press "Reconnect",
>     it leads to
>     >>> auth fail (saved password is forgotten), we run about 1000
>     users, nobody
>     >>> complains.
>     >>
>     >> This is actually expected, I'd say - but smells like a bug on the
>     server side
>     >> authentication.
>     >>
>     >> Selva may correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of it
>     when clicking
>     >> "Reconnect", the local OpenVPN process which caches the
>     auth-token is stopped
>     >> and a new OpenVPN process is started.  The client should in this
>     case ask for
>     >> username/password again.  So in this case, the server side should
>     treat this
>     >> connection as a fresh connection with no initial state.
>     >>
>     >> The step of stopping the local client and starting a new and
>     fresh one is
>     >> definitely not a bad feature to have on clients.
>     >>
>     >>> It looks like nobody uses that button.
>     >>>
>     >>> So, I asked several users, they confirmed they do not use Reconnect.
>     >>
>     >> This is no good argument for me.  This is one specific setup with
>     1000 users.
>     >> It would be more valuable with 50 different setups having 20
>     users each.  Your
>     >> conclusion is based on a very homogeneous environment.
>     >
>     > I agree. I also agree that the underlying problem should be fixed.
>     >
>     > That said, Ilya's message was sent to both openvpn-users and
>     > openvpn-devel and nobody has screamed "do not remove the Reconnect
>     > button" :). The only additional thing we can do is post a message
>     to the
>     > forums. As usual, the only sure way to get feedback (read: complaints)
>     > is to release the changes in an official build/installer.
>
>     Only recently we added a reconnect item to the menu (earlier it was
>     only available as a button in the status window) for ease of doing
>     reconnects and based on user requests -- though I can't now find who
>     asked for it.
>

> it is interesting.
>

>     I wouldn't take lack of response on the user's list as an indication
>     that no one uses it. In fact its very handy -- how else will you
>     restart a connection after editing the config file? Disconnect and
>     connect again? That would close the status window and lose all

> [...]

This discussion has actually been pretty interesting in the context of
"how to get [some] VPN providers[1] to join OpenVPN-GUI development".
We'd almost certainly need the capability to easily modify the GUI
interface to suit their particular use-cases. Like removing buttons
their users don't need. At the moment we don't have anybody willing to
do such refactorings, nor any idea if any VPN provider would be
interested anyways.

--
Samuli Seppänen
Community Manager

irc freenode net: mattock

[1] This is something we discussed in the OpenVPN-GUI project
(issues/PRs?) on GitHub.