Hi,

On Wed, Jun 03, 2015 at 08:05:21AM +1200, Jason Haar wrote:
> In this case using the openvpn tunnel as the default gw should have
> solved the problem - but normal people can't figure that out - so I'd
> like to solve it dynamically at the server end. However, to do that, the
> server would need to know in advance the routing table of the client -
> so that it could do something like "if 10.anything is local, then
> disable split tunnel and push all traffic through openvpn; else do split
> tunnel".

I'm not exactly sure what options the client sends to the server in
the "peer-info" handshake (IV_...), but I'm afraid that "routing data"
is not part of it...

What you could *try* is a magic option I just discovered recently :-) - push
"redirect-private", and then push routes for 10.0.0.0/8 (and maybe a few
/25s for the really important stuff, to override whatever 10.x netmask the
hotel might use).

--redirect-private is the bit of --redirect-gateway that figures out the
local default gateway, and installs a host route "vpn server -> this gateway",
so after that, you're fairly safe to redirect about anything...

(As a side note, you're screwed in any case if the hotel gateway happens
to use an ip address also used by one of your servers - but to fix *that*,
you'd have to go down the "use NAT on the server tun" route...)

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        g...@net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de