Hi,

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 02:51:48PM +0400, Dmitry Melekhov wrote:
> Unfortunately, some of our points still uses blowfish, but we can't
> change cipher on all of them once,
>
> so we decided to upgrade servers to 2.4.0 and then , one by one, change
> client's ciphers.
>
> Don't know why, but I decided to set default cipher on server to
> AES-256-CBC ,
>
> and
>
> ncp-ciphers AES-256-GCM:AES-128-GCM:AES-256-CBC:BF-CBC
>

> so blowfish is in list.

ncp-ciphers is good, but "cipher" should be set to "what the old clients
use".

> and found that servers successfully uses blowfish for some old clients,
> but for others not:

It depends on whether the client sends OCC info about its config - if it
doesn't send that (like "because it was compiled with --disable-occ")
the server will have to use what is configured.

[..]
> OpenVPN 2.3.2 i486-unknown-linux-uclibc [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [EPOLL]
> [eurephia] [MH] [IPv6] built on Nov  6 2014

Scary old :-) - and "uclibc" sounds like "--enable-small", which is also
turning off OCC.

> the same problem is for
>
> OpenVPN 2.3.0 arm-buildroot-linux-uclibcgnueabi [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO]
> [EPOLL] [MH] [IPv6] built on Oct 28 2014

Ditto.

> So, for now, I left default cipher on server.
>

> But, according to man servers has to choose blowfish:

Default is blowfish, so that's OK.  Just do configure the same "cipher"
on both old-clients-without-OCC and new-server.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        g...@net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de