Just as a thought, have you tried running tcpdump on the tunnel interface
immediately after it comes up (before the 10 seconds), on the off chance
that this has nothing to do with openvpn, but instead something on the OS
side of things has decided that a new interface needs a packet or three
sent 10 seconds after it's created?

-Joe