On Fri, Apr 03, 2020 at 15:06:38 -0400, Nathan Stratton Treadway wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 03, 2020 at 20:00:54 +0300, Samuli Seppänen wrote:
> > Il 02/04/20 22:07, Nathan Stratton Treadway ha scritto:
> > >
> > > Would this second option be consistent with the fact that the failed
> > > setupapi log says the driver package was "already imported?
> >
> > Seems like it. You can use
> >
> > <https://github.com/mattock/tap-windows-scripts>
> >
> > to get rid of all tap-windows instances in the Driver Store. That's what
> > I use when I need to be 100% positive the latest driver version is
> > actually being used and not some cached version.
>
> Yeah, I will plan to do that once it seems like there's nothing more to
> learn investigating the system in its current state....

Okay, I took this approach, and now have a working OpenVPN installation
on that system.

I started out by running the TAP-Windows -> "Delete ALL TAP virtual
ethernet adapters" option of the Windows Start Menu.

Then, since I already knew from looking through the setupapi.dev.log
file and the output of "pnputil" that the tap0901 driver was called
"oem43" on that system, I just went ahead and deleted the driver
directly (based on what the Remove-Tapwindows.ps1 script would have
done):

====
C:\WINDOWS\system32>c:\windows\system32\pnputil /delete-driver oem43.inf

Microsoft PnP Utility

Driver package deleted successfully.
====

In hindsite it looks like running the "add adapter" script would have
done this automatically, but I went ahead and put the Win10 version of
the driver back in the driver store by right-clicking on "C:\Program
Files\TAP-Windows\driver\OemVista.inf" and choosing "Install" (since I
new that that the files in that directory were indeed the Win10
versions)..

And finally I added the virtual adapter back in by clicking on the
TAP-Windows -> "Add a new TAP virtual Ethernet adapter" Start Menu
entry.

At that point, the "TAP-Windows Provider V9" device showed up again in
Device Manager with no warning triangle in the icon, and when I clicked
on the OpenVPN icon it proceeded to start the VPN connection without any
trouble.  So I think the situation is resolved on this machine.

Given that we now have the correct driver files installed I am no longer
able to do much testing related to the installer being confused by
having the wrong ones in use... but I have kept copies of the various
setupapi* log files, so let me know if I can provide any additional
information....

                                                        Nathan