Hi,

On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 1:46 PM mike tancsa <m...@sentex.net> wrote:

> On 4/14/2021 8:23 PM, Selva Nair wrote:
> >
> > You can restrict TLS version using th eoption --tls-version-min in
> > OpenVPN config file, but restricting to TLS 1.2 is not enough with
> > OpenSSL 1.1.1. It defaults to PSS for both TLS 1.2 and 1.3.
> >
> > Rather than building your own OpenSSL, a much simpler option would be
> > to make an openssl.cnf file and restrict signature algorithms. See my
> > comment on the trac
> > ticket link I posted in my previous reply.
> >
> Thanks, still no luck just yet getting things to work using the .cnf
> file.  Not sure why its not picking up the pointer properly.  I will
> keep trying.

You can privately email me the OpenSSL config file you are using, and
I can take a look.

> Another thing I am not clear on, is where the cert signature type is set
> / required.  I am guessing the entire chain needs to be at least SHA256
> right ? PKI's CA CRT, CSR, signed CRT ?

We are referring to the signature algorithm set in the ClientHello during TLS
handshake. OpenSSL 1.1.1 will include rsa_pss_pss_sha256 and similar
as a supported  algorithms in the signature_algorithms extension
of clientHello. This is true even if you choose TLS 1.2. The idea of editing
OpenSSL.cnf is to remove PSS schemes from that list.

> Also, I was playing around creating a default CA from scratch using
> easy-rsa.  It by default generates a CA cert as so

Recreating certificates will not make any difference.

Selva