Hi Selva,

On 15/04/21 20:20, Selva Nair wrote:
[...]

Another thing I am not clear on, is where the cert signature type is set
/ required.  I am guessing the entire chain needs to be at least SHA256
right ? PKI's CA CRT, CSR, signed CRT ?
We are referring to the signature algorithm set in the ClientHello during TLS
handshake. OpenSSL 1.1.1 will include rsa_pss_pss_sha256 and similar
as a supported  algorithms in the signature_algorithms extension
of clientHello. This is true even if you choose TLS 1.2. The idea of editing
OpenSSL.cnf is to remove PSS schemes from that list.

I can reproduce this issue with a Safenet token on Linux:

- openvpn 2.4 or 2.5 built with openssl 1.1 fails to connect to a server built with openssl 1.1 ; it has no problems connecting to a server built with openssl 1.0.2

- modifying the openssl.cnf file like this:

##########
openssl_conf = default_modules

[ default_modules ]
ssl_conf = ssl_module

[ ssl_module ]
system_default = crypto_policy

[ crypto_policy ]
SignatureAlgorithms = RSA+SHA256
##########

and adding
  --tls-max-version 1.2
does allow me to connect, so changing the SignatureAlgorithms works.
I am having problems with openvpn and the Safenet driver on my Fedora 32 box, but that has more to do with the (out of date) Safenet driver than with OpenVPN.

However, I think this *IS* an OpenVPN (or more likely, pkcs11-helper) issue, as I can set up a TLS 1.3 connection using openssl s_server + s_client  with rsa-pss  using the openssl-pkcs11 engine and the same token:

## server:
openssl s_server -CAfile ca.crt -cert server.crt -key server.key -www

## client:
openssl s_client -engine pkcs11 -cert client.crt -keyform engine -key 20210419 -connect localhost:4433

(the key id is the ID of the private key on the token and was set to today's date).

Shared Signature Algorithms: ECDSA+SHA256:ECDSA+SHA384:ECDSA+SHA512:Ed25519:Ed448:RSA-PSS+SHA256:RSA-PSS+SHA384:RSA-PSS+SHA512:RSA-PSS+SHA256:RSA-PSS+SHA384:RSA-PSS+SHA512:RSA+SHA256:RSA+SHA384:RSA+SHA512:ECDSA+SHA224:ECDSA+SHA1:RSA+SHA224:RSA+SHA1

I'll continue to investigate,

JJK