On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 12:38:24 +0200, Bo Berglund wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Jun 2022 01:52:48 -0400, Nathan Stratton Treadway
> <natha...@ontko.com> wrote:
>
> >On Mon, Jun 20, 2022 at 08:51:47 +0200, Bo Berglund wrote:
> >
> >> Originally I used OpenVPN since around 2014 on RaspberryPi to access my
> >> home
> >> LAN. I did not have an Ubuntu server back then.
> >> Then in 2016 I built the Ubuntu server to handle a lot of other things
> >> too, like
> >> subversion and such, and I also installed OpenVPN there.
> >> But I no longer remember *how* I installed it, it might have been done
> >> using
> >> some apt repository fiddling so I am now on the wrong branch....
> >
> >The top entry in the /usr/share/doc/openvpn/changelog.Debian.gz should
> >give you at least a little information about the specific build of
> >the currently-installed version of the package...
>
> This is what I have in the file:
>
> openvpn (2.4.7-xenial0) stable; urgency=medium
>
>   * preparing release v2.4.7 (ChangeLog, version.m4, Changes.rst) (Gert
> Doering,
> 2b8aec62)
> ... lots of more lines ...

Well, the interesting line would have been the "signature" line at the
end of that section, immediately before the "openvpn (2.4[...]" header
line for the next-mentioned-package-version's section....

But seeing Gert Doering mentioned in that quoted text was enough to make
me wonder if this was a package built by the OpenVPN project -- and sure
enough, the "-xenial0" naming convention seems to be what they use (as
shown in this repository listing:
  https://build.openvpn.net/debian/openvpn/release/2.4/pool/xenial/main/o/
)

So now my guess is that you had an apt sources.list entry pointing to
the build.openvpn.net repo back in your Xenial days, which then probably
got disabled by the Ubuntu release-upgrade process (and thus apt no
longer suggests newer versions of the OpenVPN package from that repo).

Anyway, at this point I think your choices now (when you are back home)
are either to manually switch to the current Ubuntu-provided package (as
discussed in the earlier emails), or to re-enable the build.openvpn.net
repo (switching to their Focal release) and then upgrade to the newer
package currently provided there.  But presumably one way or the other
you will want to upgrade away from 2.4.7-xenial0...

                                                Nathan