>On 30/08/2023 07:45, Jason Long via Openvpn-users wrote:
> Hello,
> I configured OpenVPN to use the username and password for authentication, but
> I need to have the "ca.crt", "cert server.crt", "server.key" and "dh.pem"
> certificates.

>There are 2 sets of certificates and keys.

>* Server side: Uses ca.crt, server.crt, server.key and dh.pem

>* Client side: Uses ca.crt, client.crt and client.key

>The difference between these certificates and keys are very important to
>have a clear understanding of.  Each certificate provides an identity of
>the server or client and should be unique per host and user.

> So, what's the advantage of using this authentication method when I still
> need to use these keys?

>Certificate based authentication is quite strong.  And in many cases,
>that is more than enough.  OpenVPN can also be configured to not use
>client certificates, in this case username/password authentication is
>mandatory.  For such setups, the client side only needs the ca.crt (to
>verify the identity of the VPN server).

>Or you can combine certificate with username/password authentication.
>This can be used if you want to grant different access to the network(s)
>behind the VPN server depending on which device a user is connecting from.

>And there is another aspect as well.  Some deployments let both
>gateway/routers connect to a VPN server as well as individual users.  In
>this case, those gateway/router hosts will NOT use username/password -
>only certificates.  While the individual end-users might do only
>username/password authentication.

>Which approach to use, depends entirely on your own networks need and
>the threat model you operate under.  There is no "X is better than Y"
>scenario in this case; it depends entirely on your own security needs.

>--
>kind regards,

>David Sommerseth
>OpenVPN Inc

Hello,
Thank you so much for your reply.
As I understand, The "ca.crt" and "ta.crt" keys are mandatory. I disabled the
"ta.crt" in Client.ovpn file and I got the following error:

Wed Aug 30 17:36:57 2023 TLS Error: TLS key negotiation failed to occur within
60 seconds (check your network connectivity)
Wed Aug 30 17:36:57 2023 TLS Error: TLS handshake failed

Why the following files must exist in the server.conf file, when the client
using the username and password authentication method?

cert server.crt
key server.key
dh dh.pem