Hi,

On Wed, Aug 30, 2023 at 01:53:40PM +0000, Jason Long via Openvpn-users wrote:
> Thank you so much for your reply.
> As I understand, The "ca.crt" and "ta.crt" keys are mandatory. I disabled the
> "ta.crt" in Client.ovpn file and I got the following error:

ta.crt is outside the "basic" TLS handshake, so a different thing - and
if used, must be used on both sides.

> Wed Aug 30 17:36:57 2023 TLS Error: TLS key negotiation failed to occur
> within 60 seconds (check your network connectivity)
> Wed Aug 30 17:36:57 2023 TLS Error: TLS handshake failed
>
> Why the following files must exist in the server.conf file, when the client
> using the username and password authentication method?
>
> cert server.crt
> key server.key
> dh dh.pem

For the same reason you have them in your apache config if your web server
offers TLS (https).  Because TLS needs a server certificate, and Diffie-
Hellman needs a file with DH groups.

Maybe you really want to follow David's suggestion and buy one of the
OpenVPN books *and actually read it, from beginning to end*?

gert