Thanks that clears it up for me.  Agreed, the system that launches the
stack should provide all of the production settings which shouldn't be
stored in git or docker images.

I am familiar with --buld-args, I use them sometimes to save the date/time
the container was built inside the image.  The commit hash is good info.  I
may have to borrow that from you :)

I'm still new to Django so I've just been following the guidance from "Two
Scoops of Django" and django-cookiecutter.  It's worked well for my use
cases but I need to get more familiar with all of the parts of Openwisp to
be able to say if it does or does not fit.