Both points good:

I'm struggling to get any reasonable performance out of OpenVPN on MIPS
hardware (cheap TpLinks or Chinese 10 USD things ) and wireguard may be an
answer .

I did not replicate my functional model ( that use OpenVPN and it works perfect
) as I have to switch from PfSense to OPNSense .

What I want to say is that OpnSense supports wireguard trough a plugin so it's
a starting point ( one end ) and YES someone could do it . If I manage to move
to OPNSense then I will look into it .

It's just a matter of config but first I have to test that speed is really
there . It seems that wireguard is x3 times faster on MiPS single core router
and that is important as OLSR also eats CPU time and those devices are
beautiful but slow.