@f.copano:
I am experiencing the same problem...
I have also followed the docs-section
(http://netjsonconfig.openwisp.org/en/latest/backends/openwrt.html#wireless-attached-to-a-different-network)

but this ends up in an orphaned interface.
The wifi is then assigned to the bridge and an interface consisting only of
that wifi.
I have also tried configuring openwrt via luci and open it via
netjsonconfig OpenWrt(native=open... but this gives errors like "...is not
valid under any of the given schemas"
Is there any solution for this?