>>>>> "Malte" == Malte S Stretz <m...@apache.org> writes:

Hi,

 Malte> A broken tgz header will be recognized by these tools already.

 Malte> If we need any logic for flashing, we can also introduce a
 Malte> sysupgrade dir.  Anything in there will go to /lib/upgrade
 Malte> before flashing.  For even more flexibility, the root could
 Malte> contain an optional (executable) sysupgrade.sh which called
 Malte> instead of the system sysupgrade.

Why not just use a standard format like the Debian .deb instead of
inventing a custom format? A Debian .deb is nothing more than a tar.gz
with some meta data (version
number/description/dependencies/conflicts) which can be used to ensure
you can only install the upgrade on compatible hw, and 4 scripts:

 - preinst, which runs before installation
 - posting, which runs after installation
 - prerm, which runs before removal (/upgrade)
 - postrm, which runs after removal (/upgrade)

Busybox contains a dpkg implementation. I'm using such a setup, where
the .deb will extract into something like /tmp/upgrade and the
postinst script will copy the individual files to the correct mtd
partitions.

Alternatively you could use ipkg/opkg.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard