On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 23:08:17 +0200
Felix Fietkau <n...@openwrt.org> wrote:

> My plan for the unified format is to keep the on-flash format the same
> as the input format. In the long run, I don't want any unpacking to be
> done in sysupgrade or the web interface. The structure is roughly
> like this: [second stage loader][environment][kernel][rootfs]

Ok, here's my question.  The brcm-63xx *require* a Broadcom format
imagetag at the start of the flash image (on flash and for CFE
upgrades), and won't load without it.  Do you mean to keep this
imagetag and have the [second stage
loader][environment][kernel][rootfs] all in the kernel partition (as
far as the CFE is concerned; for the OpenWRT obviously the partitions
would be determined by the environment) ?

Also, how does the second stage loader compare to the kernel?  I ask
because I have run across a router for which the CFE verifies the CRC
of the kernel after it has been decompressed.  Would the unified format
be a problem for this router?

Also, when it comes to decompression, do the 63xx routers have the CFE
do the decompression or is it a loader?  I ask because I know that the
kernel has to be compressed with specific lzma parameters for it to
work with the CFE and that indicates to me that it's not an arbitrary
loader that's doing the unpacking, but rather the CFE.

Or do you run the loader *after* un-lzma by the CFE?

--
And that's my crabbing done for the day.  Got it out of the way early,
strangle cute bunnies or something.   -- Michael Devore

    • ... Daniel Dickinson
      • ... RHS Linux User
      • ... Malte S. Stretz
        • ... Jo-Philipp Wich