Thank you SO much for your help. I've identified my problem. It seems that I
need to make the clean target before I make the compile target, otherwise,
the KLM isn't generated.
This recipe works:

make package/vislinkRcv/clean V=99
make package/vislinkRcv/compile V=99

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 10:23 AM, <edgar.sol...@web.de> wrote:

> so where does a (in buildroot root)
>
> $> make package/<pkg>/{clean,compile} V=99
>
> leave you?... attach the output or pastebin it .. also check if the new
> binary is created in builddir
>
> ..ede
>

> On 12.05.2011 16:08, John Zavgren wrote:
> > It get's  built and staged when I do a "global" make.
> >
> > I want a technique for making just this one KLM, so that I don't need to
> build the entire enchilada, every time I make a change to  it's source code.
> I don't care where the .ko file lands, because I'm moving it to my target
> (via scp) anyway. (I'm not replacing the entire file system with each
> incremental build.)
> >
> > All I'm looking for, at this point, is a simple hack that will save me a
> huge amount of development time.
> >

> > On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 9:37 AM, <edgar.sol...@web.de <mailto:
> edgar.sol...@web.de>> wrote:
> >
> >     isn't it build in the build_dir or just not installed? i see no
> install definition in your makefile. as jow wrote
> >
> >     > f you can you should consider packaging your source as an
> out-of-tree
> >     > module, see for example the KernelPackage / kmod defintions in
> >     > package/wprobe/Makefile .
> >
> >     ede
> >
> >     On 12.05.2011 15:24, John Zavgren wrote:
> >     > Here's the Makefile. Thanks, John
> >     > ------------------
> >     >
> >     >     #
> >     >     # Copyright (C) 2006 OpenWrt.org
> >     >     #
> >     >     # This is free software, licensed under the GNU General Public
> License v2.
> >     >     # See /LICENSE for more information.
> >     >     #
> >     >     # $Id: Makefile 10203 2008-01-15 03:25:11Z matteo $
> >     >
> >     >     include $(TOPDIR)/rules.mk <http://rules.mk> <http://rules.mk>
> >     >     include $(INCLUDE_DIR)/kernel.mk <http://kernel.mk> <
> http://kernel.mk>
> >     >
> >     >     PKG_NAME:=vislinkRcv
> >     >     PKG_VERSION:=1.1
> >     >
> >     >     include $(INCLUDE_DIR)/package.mk <http://package.mk> <
> http://package.mk>
> >     >
> >     >     define KernelPackage/vislinkRcv
> >     >       SUBMENU:=Network Devices
> >     >       TITLE:=Vislink tunnel receiver.
> >     >       FILES:=$(PKG_BUILD_DIR)/vislinkRcv.$(LINUX_KMOD_SUFFIX)
> >     >       AUTOLOAD:=$(call AutoLoad,50,vislinkRcv)
> >     >     endef
> >     >
> >     >     define KernelPackage/vislinkRcv/description
> >     >             This module receives and processes frames that have
> been
> >     >             created by vislink encpasulation.
> >     >     endef
> >     >
> >     >     define Build/Prepare
> >     >             mkdir -p $(PKG_BUILD_DIR)
> >     >             cp src/Makefile src/vislink.h src/vislinkRcv.c
> [...]

Remember when teachers, public employees, Planned Parenthood, NPR and PBS
bonuses, and paid no taxes? Yeah, me neither.

John Zavgren
603-371-0513 (home)
603-801-2094 (cell)
johnzavgren (skype)