Hi,

In the current approach there is an inherent limitation in that the
uci-default scripts run before the application init.d scripts are run. While
this is desirable for many situations, it is an issue in those cases you
need to have the network up, switch recognised, wifi driver identified etc.

To overcome we have used the uci-default approach and copied into a
uci-postconfig directory in our firmware compilation. All scripts in there
are also just run once, but AFTER all other scripts have been run before the
last finished script that marks the end of the boot process. The scripts in
uci-postconfig directory are called and then removed after execution by an
ordinary init.d script with S99 timing.

While that all works well, it would be nice to have such a postconfig or
postboot mechanism (whatever you want to call it) in standard OpenWrt as
much as the uci-default mechansim.

Just a thought...

Hanno