Hello again,
I looked through the patches, and think of rebasing my current work on top
of them.
Still, one question persists:
Is your work on RT856X abandoned? Why wasn't it included in the OpenWRT
trunk.
I'll try to forward-port your RT856X work, some things look similar. But
since I do not have any RT865X board, it might be buggy.

And what conserns those realtek's imgtools (cvimg and mgbin), will it be
OK if I make a script that either downloads the official GPL sources from,
say TRENDnet's site and rips the reuired stuff from it (or asks the user to
do that manually). (I have a strange feeling it isn't worth the effort
asking realtek for license clarification)

Regards,
Andrew