On 2012-04-16 10:23 PM, Jeroen van Bemmel wrote:
> Felix,
>
> Regarding the problem of users playing with config options and not
> mentioning it, part of the solution could be to require users to submit
> their .config files when reporting issues. In such a case, having the
> kernel version in there too would actually be better than relying on
> users mentioning the fact that they edited their Makefiles...
I still fail to see how adding a config option for the kernel version
makes a big difference in usability. I really don't consider the kernel
version as something to be configured.

Also, I just found yet another reason why adding this is problematic:
The menuconfig include file which provides the target selection has
lines that select symbols like LINUX_3_2, which are used for various
dependencies and checks throughout the system. Your patch does not
handle that, hence it would introduce some subtle breakage if the kernel
version is changed through menuconfig instead of a Makefile edit.

I'm not interested in any further suggestions on how to slightly
mitigate the issue of users creating bogus reports after having messed
around in their configuration until I've heard some good reasons why
this change is useful in the first place.

The reasons I've heard so far are:

- To help coordinate testing of new kernel versions
=> unnecessary, the people whose testing feedback we would actively
consider for figuring out if a new kernel is ready are typically all
able to do a simple edit in a Makefile. Typically testing a new kernel
version only makes sense when the new version is actually ready for
that, and developers typically actively ask people for testing when they
need it during such a time.
Outside of such a time, unsolicited testing feedback on newer kernel
versions is usually ignored anyway, since there typically are some known
issues to work out first.

- To change the kernel version in device profiles
=> do not want!1!! (as explained earlier)

- It helps people that are new to the system to play with stuff
=> It helps people find yet another way to mess up their builds without
knowing what they're doing, we already have too many of those.

Am I missing some compelling reason that I haven't already listed here
and debunked?

- Felix