> Regarding the problem of users playing with config options and not
> mentioning it, part of the solution could be to require users to submit
> their .config files when reporting issues. In such a case, having the
> kernel version in there too would actually be better than relying on
> users mentioning the fact that they edited their Makefiles...

Board platform and driver files/patches *depends* on a specific
kernel version so kernel version configuration as you proposed
would depend on luck for the users unless we provide the required
patches for every kernel version.

OTOH your idea could work if all boards supported by OpenWRT
reside on the upstream kernel so we don't need to test and
patch for every kernel release.
--
 Otto