On a linksys e1000, I do:
For default stock firmware: flash -ctheader : flash1.trx
and for openwrt: flash -noheader : flash1.trx

I use tftp/tftp-hfa on debian, using tftp PUT instead of having a tftp
server, with something like this: cd <dir with firware image>; echo -e
'binary\nrexmt 1\ntimeout 613\ntrace\nverbose\nput <firware image
filename>' | tftp 192.168.1.1
Play with these params as needed.

By the way, this may not work on other routers; especially I think it may
be necessary to change the "flash1.trx". Also you can use the CFE command
"help" for more info. (Also CFE is open source, I think).

As far as I know, -noheader is used for TRX files, and -ctheader is used
for BIN files (because a BIN is just a TRX with a
header<http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/techref/header>
).