On Thu, 2013-01-31 at 08:55 +0100, Bastian Bittorf wrote:
> * Daniel Gimpelevich <dan...@gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us> [31.01.2013
> 08:48]:
> >
> > I don't know whether this will be of much use. Florian, any hope of
> > reusing the binary ADSL modules in 3.x? They're there as unversioned .o,
>
> back in the old days we just used disassemblers, now we even
> have tools which make c-code out of an .o - has anyone tried such tools
> to open the source?
>
> bye, bastian

You mean the days before this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowers_v._Baystate_Technologies
Any such effort to do this would need to be using the "clean-room"
method, which is exactly what OpenWrt jumpstarted for the brcm43xx
chips, leading to the modern "b43" driver, which OpenWrt then made use
of. IIRC, the whole process took about six years. There are other issues
involved with Broadcom's ADSL drivers in particular, too. I'll leave it
to Florian to either explain the situation for the Nth time, or link to
earlier explanations.