Hello Felix

(reply inline)

On 11/18/2013 07:15 PM, Felix Fietkau wrote:
> On 2013-11-20 00:49, cmsv wrote:
>> I have not seen this issue but i have another issue in hands which
>> forces me to cold reboot some routers.
>> It is described here:
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/openwrt-devel@lists.openwrt.org/msg20575.html
>>
>> The causes the ath9k 9**** router to freeze but i do believe that it is
>> related to tcp traffic and iptables since i have found a work around to
>> prevent the router to freeze. I will post later my conclusions regarding
>> this issue.
>>

>> I also noticed another very strange occurrence related to the freezes.
>>
>> # ls
>> %
>> 77000
>> 770?????H?H?H?H?H?H?H?H?H?H?H?H????$
>> 9?0000}
>> Enter
>> Z^B????{[2]+:
>> bin
>> dev
>> etc
>> lib
>> mnt
>> overlay
>> proc
>> rom
>> root
>> r?[J??[J????????????[12Du
>> r?[J??[J?????????????
>> sbin
>> sys
>> tmp
>> usr
>> var
>> www
>> ?^@^@^@^@^@^A[
>> ?^@^@^??????1000]
>> ?
>> ?
>> ?????0?????s
>> ?&L?00] ?[
>> ?&L?00] ?[ ` 1w>????????s>?
>> ???z
>> ?????}????????i???~??kX??^@^@~@^B^@^H!B?^H^H
>> ?j?j?j?j?j??????????i??%R?
>>
>> I have not found out why i get these files in /
>> Al this only happens with AR9***
> I'm pretty sure your serial console is picking up garbage input. The
> freezes themselves are probably caused by the sysrq magic sequence
> appearing in that garbage. A while back I've committed a patch to trunk
> that makes it stop processing the sysrq sequence from the serial port. I
> have now backported this to AA in r38863.

I updated  to DISTRIB_REVISION="r38863" which applied
target/linux/generic/patches-3.3/890-8250_optional_sysrq.patch and the
the freezes only apply now to serial connection which after  afew hours
i have to reboot the router if i want to connect through serial. (i use
a usb to serial converter).

The network keeps working and so far i see no issues. I have tested with
AR9xxx and AR7xxx.
Although this patch seemed to solve the network freeze problem i still get:

[  169.770000] net_ratelimit: 4598 callbacks suppressed
[ 1864.610000] net_ratelimit: 6 callbacks suppressed
[ 1869.620000] net_ratelimit: 4639 callbacks suppressed
[39448.090000] net_ratelimit: 4997 callbacks suppressed
[41383.600000] net_ratelimit: 16 callbacks suppressed

Adding the following to /etc/sysctl.conf

net.ipv4.tcp_max_syn_backlog = 2048
net.ipv4.tcp_synack_retries = 3

eliminates "net_ratelimit callbacks suppressed" messages and it when do
bandwidth tests with iperf; i seem to get better results with 5mbit more.

> Please test if this resolves
> your freezes (although you will probably still get garbage files in /).
As for "garbage files" and serial support the only options i have
selected when make kernel_config are:
<*> 8250/16550 and compatible serial support
[*]   Console on 8250/16550 and compatible serial port
[*] AR933X serial port support
[*]   Console on AR933X serial port

$ cat .config| grep serial
# CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-serial-8250 is not set
# CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-usb-serial is not set
# CONFIG_PACKAGE_boost-serialization is not set
# CONFIG_PACKAGE_serialoverip is not set
# CONFIG_PACKAGE_setserial is not set
# CONFIG_PACKAGE_mbus-serial is not set
# CONFIG_PACKAGE_pyserial is not set

Even tho i did not remove this from building the image; i also did not
get garbage files so far as before. It does seem that the patch also
took care of it.

> If you want to make sure that this doesn't happen, build an image with
> serial console support disabled - I don't think this is a software bug.

I will update my other report regarding my bug conclusions later on.

> - Felix

@ Ben
with this revision and patch i get a lot of IBSS-RSN splits and more
frequent.