2013/12/9 Florian Fainelli <flor...@openwrt.org>:
> 2013/12/9 Felix Kaechele <fe...@fetzig.org>:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I'm currently trying to figure out a way how to solve the following issue
>> elegantly (i.e. from the mach file):
>>
>> Target Device: WD My Net N750 (AR9344 based, with AR8327N switch)
>>
>> Problem:
>> The device powers down all the PHYs from within the bootloader (possibly to
>> prevent early LAN <-> WAN leakage, as the ports are on the same switch and
>> separated by VLANs only).
>> The PHYs are powered down by writing 0x800 (Set Bit 11 (POWER_DOWN) to 1) to
>> register 0x0 of each PHY from within the bootloader.
>> The PHYs cannot be read while powered down (but can be written). This
>> results in mdiobus_scan (drivers/net/phy/mdio_bus.c) reading bogus PHY IDs.

I just re-read the 802.3 clause 22 standard, and this sounds non-compliant:

"While in the power-down state, the PHY shall respond to management
transactions."

the standard does not define though whether the PHY should respond
correctly though. Did you confirm that it does not respond with its
correct PHY ID1&ID3 values? Is this a real PHY or is this a specific
port from a switch?
--
Florian