On 08/04/14 00:50, José Vázquez wrote:
There is something that still don't understand: why is there so much
interest in the WRT1900ac? A Wandboard quad + i.e. TL-WDR7500 is a
more exciting, more powerful and more versatile combo.

As we've seen from elsewhere in this thread, they've already submitted some patches[1] in a non-standard format and had them knocked back. The 'quality' of the submission does kinda make me wonder whether the folks designing the box never in their wildest dreams expected to get approval from Linksys's new owners to go the FLOSS path. I actually kinda have the feeling that the Linksys engis have had an OpenWRT capable box in their office for some time and it's the new owners that have allowed them to productise. But I digress...

Now that I'm actually convinced that they are working on having OpenWRT, I've started to re-read their product announcements [2]. Whilst originally I (and maybe others) expected it to have been ready with OWRT out of the box it's pretty clear to me now that they never intended it to be OWRT ready on launch day but at some time after launch. This is probably why Bastian never got a response to his request for a bunch of dev boxes[3]. Which kinda dovetails in to... Given the quality of the patch submitted in [1], I'm expecting it'll be OpenWRT ready and production stable say June at the earliest.

As for the TL-WDR7500, the one obvious thing the 1900ac has that it doesn't is eSATA. Also, at the time of initial 1900ac announcement, there was no working 5GHz on the WDR7500 [4] so interest for me to a very large degree is in the performance in that spectrum.

Anyway, enough from me for first in the morning emails before my coffee. Good luck to both 'teams' working on 5GHz stuff for OpenWRT. Having a choice in hardware can only benefit everyone.

Pete.

1 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.embedded.openwrt.devel/23500
2 http://store.linksys.com/Linksys-WRT1900AC-Open-Source-Wireless-Router_stcVVproductId158014980VVcatId551966VVviewprod.htm [Apparently they're still supporting WinXP as a host PC platform, popcorn!]
3 http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.embedded.openwrt.devel/23513