On 09/04/2012 09:21 PM, Philipp Hancke wrote:
Going further, I think that public servers are an obsolete concept.

In the early days of Jabber, when was really hard to install an XMPP server they had their place. And they were usually run by developers gathering operational experience.

These days, when people need an xmpp account and don't want to run their own server they go to google (google hosts ~18% of xmpp domains, I would bet that their market share is more than 35% when looking at the number of (non-enterprise im) accounts).

There are people who doesn't use google's services (hopefully) and it is always good to have possibility to choose. There will be always people who will not have their own domain/servers just because they do/will not need it. Anyway freedom, openness and possibility to choose should be the principles which should have precedence before anything in real and also in this our virtual world. And this is reason why public servers will never be an 'obsolete concept' as they never been an 'open relay'. There are some tries to centralize and control server's access to XMPP network and I am not sure if that is good way. There are always 'bad users' in every community and we have to learn to live with them. Anyway it's great chance to come with XMPP improvements and help XMPPSF to improve this protocol/network. Hope that at some time we will have (at least partially) autonomous XMPP network.

--
Peter Viskup