While I agree with much of what you're saying, making a public service
that's not the equivalent of an open relay is hard. Google has a lot of
code assigned at detecting abuse, and a lot of this works because of the
scale of their operation.

I think public servers are possible, but not as they are now. We are naive
if we allow ourselves to think that traditional IBR is a realistic option.