Hi Daniel,

On 18 January 2014 21:50, Daniel Pocock <dan...@pocock.com.au> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We have just enabled federated SIP for debian.org.  It is very basic,
> just a SIP proxy and TURN server.  People can register and make calls to
> each other and other federated SIP domains using TLS.  There is no
> presence server or other stuff so far.

I know this is a milestone, good work :)

> XMPP is also on the roadmap, I would like to see it happen within 1-3
> months at most.  A lot of the work done for SIP (e.g. discussions about
> naming conventions, authentication databases, TURN server, etc) applies
> to XMPP too so there should be less effort to get XMPP now.

Excellent news. I know there has been talk of an XMPP server on
debian.org on and off for some time, it would be great to see this
happen :)

> The biggest challenge is that all Debian infrastructure is run by
> volunteers: in this type of community, it is not reasonable to ask them
> to support anything that will be a drain on their time.  That is why we
> started off without things like presence support in SIP.
>
> I'd be really interested to get feedback from the XMPP community, in
> particular,
>
> a) would anybody from the XMPP community would like to be personally
> involved in advising on this next stage of the debian.org RTC project?

I'd be able and willing to help with this. I'm not a Debian developer,
but I admire the project a lot and would love to contribute in this
way. I am a volunteer admin of a number of XMPP servers already,
including jabber.org, dukgo.com (DuckDuckGo's community server) and
some smaller public services. As an XMPP developer I've worked on
integrating XMPP servers with all kinds of systems.

> b) can anybody comment on which products may suit Debian's operational
> requirements?

On discussing actual software I have to disclose that I'm a developer
of Prosody, an open-source XMPP server. I think it would cover all
your needs, but it would be helpful to know a little bit more about
them.

Even if you were to ultimately choose other software I'd still like to
help where I can, though obviously my usefulness will decrease
somewhat.

Regards,
Matthew