On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 10:37 PM, Matthew Wild <mwi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> On 18 January 2014 21:50, Daniel Pocock <dan...@pocock.com.au> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We have just enabled federated SIP for debian.org.  It is very basic,
> > just a SIP proxy and TURN server.  People can register and make calls to
> > each other and other federated SIP domains using TLS.  There is no
> > presence server or other stuff so far.
>
> I know this is a milestone, good work :)
>
> > XMPP is also on the roadmap, I would like to see it happen within 1-3
> > months at most.  A lot of the work done for SIP (e.g. discussions about
> > naming conventions, authentication databases, TURN server, etc) applies
> > to XMPP too so there should be less effort to get XMPP now.
>
> Excellent news. I know there has been talk of an XMPP server on
> debian.org on and off for some time, it would be great to see this
> happen :)

I agree, I think this is great news.

> > The biggest challenge is that all Debian infrastructure is run by
> > volunteers: in this type of community, it is not reasonable to ask them
> > to support anything that will be a drain on their time.  That is why we
> > started off without things like presence support in SIP.
> >
> > I'd be really interested to get feedback from the XMPP community, in
> > particular,
> >
> > a) would anybody from the XMPP community would like to be personally
> > involved in advising on this next stage of the debian.org RTC project?
>
> I'd be able and willing to help with this. I'm not a Debian developer,
> but I admire the project a lot and would love to contribute in this
> way. I am a volunteer admin of a number of XMPP servers already,
> including jabber.org, dukgo.com (DuckDuckGo's community server) and
> some smaller public services. As an XMPP developer I've worked on
> integrating XMPP servers with all kinds of systems.

I'd add that Matt serves on the XMPP Council here at the XSF, too - he's
amongst the best people you could have offering to help. Despite having
been a competitor to Matt for many years, I've no hesitation in
recommending him.

> > b) can anybody comment on which products may suit Debian's operational
> > requirements?
>
> On discussing actual software I have to disclose that I'm a developer
> of Prosody, an open-source XMPP server. I think it would cover all
> your needs, but it would be helpful to know a little bit more about
> them.

I don't know why, but I've a strange idea that suggesting M-Link isn't
going to fly... ;-)

There's a number of good XMPP servers. Prosody is certainly one of the
best, and it's also open-source. I've personally worked on other XMPP
servers, and I find the source code reasonably easy to jump into despite
not knowing Lua.

If I were in Debian's position, I think Matt's offer of help would be
enough to swing the decision in Prosody's favour.

One interesting thing about Prosody is that there's an unofficial IRC C2S
module knocking around, allowing IRC clients to connect to its MUC
chatrooms. Speaking as a XMPP kind of guy, I'd be very interested in seeing
whether unifying Debians' IRC activities with this RTC project in this way
would be a possible goal. This code needs work, but I personally would be
very interested in seeing whether we could make this happen.

Dave.