Maybe it was me who misunderstood it, but my view is that the opm-cmake  based
build system in it current form uses almost the same approach as the one used
for the 2015.04 release. The only difference is that the build system is in a
single centralized (and thus much more easily maintainable) place instead of
having all its files verbatimly copied to all repositories (or sometimes not,
which is the cause of much of the hilarity which was to be had with the build
system before opm-cmake).

That is 100% correct.

As far as I see it, opm-cmake is thus the first step of the build system
refactoring. Step two is to make the build system federated, i.e., it becomes
possible to ship the build system parts which are specific to an OPM module
with only the affected repository itself, i.e., no copies would be needed
anymore and no "central" repositories would need to be bugged if something
changes in these parts.

Well - now I am a bit uncertain; as I see it step is 2 removing the sibling
build feature; for two reasons:

1.       In my opinion the whole concept of sibling builds is unnecessary
complicated - potentially creating problems with installation++ I realize
opinions differ on this.

2.       The sibling builds contribute significantly to the complexity of the
whole system - essentially leaving it in "Don't touch it" deadlock.

If I understood Joakim correctly, the sibling build feature is the prime
blocker for step 2. (I could be wrong, though.)

Well - that might be stretching it. I really so not see what it takes to get to
a fully federated build, or if it is at all possible. But reducing the
complexity in the system will certainly make it simpler to see a way.

Jaokim