I can make a meeting on 10/6, but will be on my way back from Disney :)

So, previously, I had my Github location as my primary spot, which worked great
for trying to build up a community. It was easier than the current private
Gerrit arrangement. But it also has a downside. After discussion with the other
TSC members, I changed the flow up and I made the Gerrit.opnfv.org repo the
primary and then made the Github location the mirror.

These are things I had to deal with:

1) Create a robot to update the mirror as Gerrit changes. This was also built
into my build script. But a robot kinda has to be in place to keep the two
locations in sync.

2) The problem on the Github side is that there's no real place to tie into the
Gerrit workflow. So I made a quarantine area for people to upload a directory
structure and some code for us to verify and test.  This made it easy to accept
contributions in the mirror. But it ensure they were going to be out of sync
with Gerrit.

By the way, all additions are out of sync with Gerrit unless you're on the
review. So I don't see why this is new for the committers.

3) Since the same code has to be reviewed by the same reviewers, really the
only extra step is to get the code then from the Github side to the appropriate
Gerrit folder location. This would have to be done by either a committer or
contributor with Gerrit access. If done by a committer, it could be done with a
+2 if the code had already been reviewed on the Github side.

4) Downsides of the process is that while the outside contributor can be viewed
as the contributor in the original Github side of things and even in the
copyrights, he/she won't show in the statistics because the final commit will
have to be someone with access to the project in Gerrit.

Then again, let's not forget that someone on the outside can easily obtain
Gerrit access. They don't need to be a member. One of us in the community could
easily walk them through stuff to be added. This is merely to ensure the
directories and the community is broadly viewable by the outside world, so that
we can get them to help us, or to at least use what we've developed. And that's
key. At the end of the day, we also want our code re-used.

I hope this helps some.

Best,

Ash

Sent from my iPad