I would like to clarify one thing for myself: Dovetail is (currently) about interface tests that test certain functionality using an interface, and not about how fast or good the implementation for that functionality is. Yardstick, in my mind, is about running performance tests to benchmark the implementation. Is or is not?

The reason I am asking that many proposed test cases are about measuring something. I will "-1" all those in Gerrit with this explanation.

-Tapio

On 01/26/2017 01:00 AM, Wenjing Chu wrote:

Thanks Bryan. See my response inline below.

Wenjing

*From:*SULLIVAN, BRYAN L [mailto:bs3...@att.com]
*Sent:* Wednesday, January 25, 2017 11:32 AM
*To:* Wenjing Chu <wenjing....@huawei.com>; Pierre Lynch <ply...@ixiacom.com>; Jose Lausuch <jose.laus...@ericsson.com>
*Cc:* TECH-DISCUSS OPNFV <opnfv-tech-discuss@lists.opnfv.org>
*Subject:* RE: [opnfv-tech-discuss] [dovetail]L3VPN for dovetail area

I posted some comments in gerrit. Here are the main points I think we need alignment on:

1)All proposed dovetail included tests will be added one-by-one, in a separate commit.

Please follow the gerrit tickets below and see if you can follow through. Test cases are organized into two levels for convenience: test areas and test cases. There will be one commit for each test case, and one commit for each test area (which includes a lot of test cases that are related to a function area). The test case commit says we are good on how that test case is implemented. The test area commit says we agree the test case ought to be included. Clear enough?

2)The commit will include a link to the details of the test case (script or otherwise what I would use to run the test for myself)

You can trace down to the source step by step, e.g. from test area to test case, then to functest or yardstick, and/or to openstack or other upstream eventually the source code in that upstream project.

To test run it, you would need a test environment/pod. I would think that running dovetail tool, specifying the individual test cases you’d want to run, and examining the results probably a good way to go. Maybe good to write down a “how-to” cheat-sheet for this?

3)All tests need to be working under at least one scenario, and the more scenarios that have been validated (either explicitly or implicitly), the higher priority the test should get. “Implicit” means that a test validated on a basic scenario (e.g. nosdn) is implicitly validated on other scenarios for that installer. But explicit validation is of course best.

Thanks for highlighting the implicit cases: more “implicit” is “better”, because it means something works more “universally” rather than relying on special cases. I would caution on the “more scenario” metrics again because it does not necessarily mean “larger applicability”. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn’t. Also note the fact that we ought not be counting non-generic scenarios as the same as generic ones. So let’s not be too numerical about it, the criteria should be about the larger applicability scope. I made this point in one my earlier emails as well going through the scenarios in Colorado.

4)The reviewers may require that they be able to duplicate the test validation before commit merge.

Please refer to 2) and see if you need anything else.

///

Thanks,

Bryan Sullivan | AT&T