Alok,

Thinking about the shared Agent (ves_app.py from Barometer) design, in which we
don't need an agent running on each node, but can use a single agent running on
the local cloud which aggregates VES events from the Kafka bus, it brings up
the question of how heartbeats are supposed to work (and what we use them for)
in the VES design.

Beyond the VNF (presumably by integration of the ONAP VES library into the
VNF), have you been assuming that the heartbeats represent the health of:

  *   The VES agent
  *   A host (real or virtual, whether running a VES agent or not) from which
VES events are received

If the latter, we need to consider how the agent can proxy the heartbeats for
hosts on which there is no agent running, e.g. the agent can keep a host-based
flag that is set whenever a collectd event is picked up on the Kafka bus during
the heartbeat period, and send a Heartbeat report for each host at the end of
the period. But really in that case couldn't DCAE derive that information
anyway from what it had received? So it calls into question the purpose of the
heartbeat beyond the VNF itself (the obvious use case) - I just need to clarify
it.

Thanks,
Bryan Sullivan | AT&T